The FabLink® suite is your standard-compliant solution for SECS/GEM interfaces for vertical integration of production equipment in a factory. This allows you to implement the extensive editions very quickly and in accordance with the SEMI Generic Equipment Model (GEM) standard.
FabLink® enables the standard-compliant implementation of machine interfaces. The software combines a wide range of possibilities. You can implement interfaces according to SECS/GEM, GEM300, EDA and PV02 standard. As a universal solution FabLink® supports the common SEMI standards. FabLink® can be used for almost any system control and operates a wide variety of protocols and control types.
Please feel free to contact us personally. We will be happy to advise you without obligation and find a suitable solution for your special application.
Mitch Jacobs, CEO, V-TEK Inc.
„With Kontron AIS we had a real partner helping us to understand, to implement and to deliver SECS/GEM compliant interfaces on time and within cost.“
Marco Urban, Head of Control Technology, budatec GmbH
„The SECS/GEM integration with FabLink® for our vacuum soldering systems for electronics manufacturing was professional and fast. With FabLink® API, we can now keep the time to market very short and bring an add-on to the machines to market within a very short time.We are thus further expanding our position in high-growth semiconductor, solar and electronics manufacturing industries."
Kontron AIS as your partner during the entire implementation
The implementation of a machine interface according to the SEMI standard can appear very extensive and opaque, especially at the beginning. With FabLink®, you get an established product with which you can implement the connection quickly and in accordance with the rules. With the learning interface you have maximum flexibility. After implementation of the first project, only one license is required for each additional system. Kontron AIS supports you beyond that and is your competent partner throughout the entire project.
As an experienced partner, we support our customers beyond the realization of the SECS/GEM interface in the following areas:
Training: With the SECS/GEM basic training as well as a subsequent project-specific workshop, you receive all the knowledge you need for your project.
Requirement analysis: We are happy to evaluate the specification or other compliance documents of your end customer in order to be able to respond individually to the respective requirements.
Consulting: To assist you during the project, we advise and support you during the implementation of the software.
Implementation: Depending on the requirements, you can either implement the SECS/GEM interface yourself or simply have it implemented by Kontron AIS.
Commissioning support: Upon request, Kontron AIS will also accompany you up to commissioning on site - whether at your factory or at your end customer's premises.
Support: We won't let you down: even after the project has been completed, you can be sure of our support, such as future function updates and product or project support.
1. The implementation of a SECS/GEM interface is a process that takes place over several steps. For the greatest possible success of the interface implementation, the complete execution of all stages is essential and recommended. Many years of project experience have shown that the framework of the implementation, with good groundwork and a final support strategy after FabLink® is implemented, yields the best results for the user and the final product. This includes the following steps:
- Discussion of your system requirements
- If desired: Coordination with your end customers/users
- Implementation of FabLink®
- On-site commissioning
Which of these steps do you see as challenging in the interface implementation and how can we support you?
2. In the semiconductor industry there are for the connection of machines beside the SEMI standard SECS/GEM (E04, E05, E10, E30, E37) also the standards GEM300 (E39, E40, E87, E90, E94, E116) and EDA (E120, E125, E128, E132, E134, E138, E145).
Do you know which standard you need to implement?
Can we help you evaluate the requirements?
3. Often the end customer provides extensive compliance documents. Since individual functions involve extensive effort, responding requires extensive understanding and knowledge. A targeted assessment can greatly reduce implementation efforts.
Do you have compliance documents and do you need support with the evaluation?
4. The interface requirements in the industries semiconductor manufacturing (frontend or backend), photovoltaics, electronics manufacturing (PCB), LED and OLED panel manufacturing show strong differences.
From which industry does your customer & user of your equipment come?
5. We implement a SECS/GEM interface for machine control for our customers independent of development environment and hardware.
On which control platform is your machine control based (e.g. PLC, C#)?
6. The complexity of a SECS/GEM interface is also related to the type of equipment. E.g. a cluster plant has more complex processes than a batch plant. Based on many years of experience in a wide variety of projects, we have extensive expertise with a wide variety of plant types.
What type of plant do you use?
7. Due to the standardization of SECS/GEM you can offer your machine with SECS/GEM interface to different end customers.
How important is a generic SECS/GEM interface to you?
Or do you need the implementation only for a specific project?
Your answers to the 7 questions are the first steps for the successful implementation of a SECS/GEM interface. Contact us directly via the form so that we can provide you with comprehensive support for your interface implementation.
The flexible integration framework FabLink® enables you to establish communication between tool and host via different standards. Based on an SECS/GEM interface, FabLink® is mainly used for machines in the semiconductor, PCB, LED, flat panel and OLED factories. With the SEMI PV02 standard, as an adapted variant for the photovoltaic industry, integration takes place in photovoltaic factories. FabLink® also supports SEMI's A3-0819 (PCBECI) printed circuit board manufacturing standard, published in 2019. With InterfaceA or EDA, FabLink® also serves another interface standard in the semiconductor industry for unidirectional communication between your plant and the IT system above it.
The FabLink® offers a variety of options for integrating your machine control system. A wide range of protocols and PLC can be used for this purpose.
The SEMI Standard Program develops globally accepted technical standards. It serves as a platform for the development of advanced automation standards that enable intelligent manufacturing. Kontron AIS has been working with these standards for years and supports you in the implementation of your projects.
SECS/GEM is a group of communication standards developed by Semiconductor Equipment and Materials International (SEMI). SECS is an abbreviation for SEMI Equipment Communication Standard. GEM stands for Generic Equipment Model and refers to the SEMI connectivity standard E30. The protocol family defines a generic model for the communication and control of manufacturing equipment. Thus SECS/GEM provides a unified interface for communication between automated machines and the host. The communication standard was primarily developed for the semiconductor industry, but is also used in PCB and LED, flat panel and OLED factories.
The SECS protocol stack consists of several layers. The first SECS layer is based on the RS232 interface or the TCP socket. The layer above is mainly responsible for the connection management between host and equipment. This consists of the SECS I protocol, which is based on the RS232 interface, or the HSMS standard (High Speed Messaging Standard) for the TCP socket. The SECS II protocol for data exchange via standardized messages is located on the last level of the hierarchy. This layer model enables the tool to provide the host with useful information such as status and data variables, events and alarms. The factory control system can use this information to monitor production, adjust parameters if necessary, and provide useful information to management via monitoring.
InterfaceA or EDA (Equipment Data Acquisition) is an additional interface standard in the semiconductor industry, which combines various SEMI standards. Modern semiconductor factories require large amounts of machine and process data to optimize production. The interface standard EDA is used to collect the data from the machines. In contrast to a bidirectional SECS/GEM interface, which also enables the control of a plant, EDA focuses on the provision of large amounts of data. Thus EDA represents a second plant interface besides SECS/GEM. Kontron AIS GmbH offers you complete EDA solutions for your plant control via FabLink® as well as solutions for your factory IT.
The PV02 standard specifies a uniform IT interface for production facilities in the photovoltaic industry. The standard is largely based on the established framework of SEMI standards and has been adapted to the special needs of the PV industry. This reduces the effort for the implementation and commissioning of new plants and enables the use of powerful software systems in the area of factory control and management. SEMI PV02 enables factory IT systems such as Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) to access the machines in production and also allows process parameters to be adjusted. In addition, the uniform interface provides the engineering system with measurement, process and performance data as well as events from the logistics system and other equipment data. With FabLink, Kontron AIS offers you a complete solution for integrating the PV02 interface of your equipment.
In 2019, SEMI published the new standard SEMI A3-0819 Specification for Printed Circuit Board Equipment Communication Interfaces (PCBECI). PCBECI describes a standard interface in printed circuit board manufacturing for bi-directional communication between equipment and host. The framework is primarily intended for software developers to implement interfaces for the fast and uniform integration of equipment in PCB production. SEMI A3 is based on the SEMI SECS/GEM standard - adapted to the specific requirements of the PCB industry. Some SECS/GEM functionalities have therefore been limited to simplify data management and the communication process. SEMI A3 thus offers a robust, comprehensive and expandable standard for store floor communication. Through continuous product development FabLink® also supports this standard. Kontron AIS offers support for your project - we look forward to hearing from you.
- E4 - SECS-I (R232)
- E37 - HSMS (TCP/IP)
- E30 - Generic Equipment Model (GEM)
- E39 – Object Services Standard
- E40 – Processing Management
- E87 – Carrier Management
- E90 – Substrate Management
- E94 – Control Job Management
- E116 – Equipment Perfomance Tracking
- E120 – Common Equipment Model
- E125 – Equipment Self-Description
- E128 – XML Message Structures
- E132 – Authentication and Authorization
- E134 – Data Collection Management und
- E135 – Semiconductor Processing Equipment
- E138 – Semiconductor Common Components
- E145 – Measurement Unit Symbols in XML
FabLink® Designer is an integrated feature for easy and clear configuration of the SECS/GEM interface for your machine control. The export function of FabLink® Designer provides a prepared interface documentation (GEM manual) in an open file format.
FabLink® is an established product over decades. In order to always meet the current requirements, it is permanently developed further.
The highlights of the latest version::
- FabLink® API supports GEM300
- EDA integration in FabLink® API
- New Windows versions and .Net frameworks are supported
Further information and technical details can be found in the FabLink® Factsheet.
FabLink® can be combined with AIS products like ToolCommander® and the host computer system FabEagle®LC.
- Fully SEMI compliant solution
- SECS/GEM, PV02, GEM300 and InterfaceA (EDA) support in one solution
- Reduced development effort for machine builders
- Time savings through automated, standards-compliant documentation
- Support and individual extensions by Kontron AIS
Your contact person
Fon: +49 (0) 351 2166 1592